Writing in Math


Hey everyone! I am teaming up with Lit with Lyns this week to discuss the hows and whys behind incorporating writing across all subject areas including MATH! If you would like to find out why I like to include writing in my math curriculum, find out more below. There is also a linky included at the bottom so that you can share with others how YOU incorporate math into your classroom.


There seems to be a big debate about writing, especially in my area...math. We math teachers tend to think we are different than everybody else and we do not have to write. We deal with numbers. That's it. Leave us alone with all of your writing mumbo jumbo.

I have to admit, I used guilty about not doing much writing in my math classes *ducks head* However, I was determined to change that this past school year. Here is why:



#1- Despite the fact that I would love for math to be just about numbers, our students are being required to read more and more difficult text within math. I know, crazy, right?! This means I need to gear up for my students to increase their understanding of math world problems that look similar to this:



Which leads into #2- If a student can write about math, then they can definitely read about math. By getting to the stage of writing, students have to fully grasp the situation so that they can explain it. Bloom's taxonomy, anyone??? This will require a higher level of thinking than is typical required in math classes. This is where I want my students to be by the end of this school year.

My goal was for my students to write about math, but not necessarily always about how to solve word problems. This would be very soul-sucking and I would feel very sorry for my students if that is the only way we wrote. I want to include writing about how math could be used in various jobs, or how math would be used in their dream job. This will heighten their interest in writing as well as broaden their minds to how math is used in everyday life. Combine this with writing about how to solve math problems, and I think that my students will have a well-rounded understanding of the math curriculum. 

Because of these goals, I create 2 writing in math resources that I used in my classroom. They can be found here and here. They were a HUGE success!! The students became very accustomed to writing as their warm-up every single Monday. These resources are also completely print-and-go making it very easy to prep each week.

If you are thinking about incorporating writing into your math curriculum, DO IT! You will not regret it.



2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I love the point you made that said... "If students can write about math, then they can definitely read about math." This couldn't be more true! Thanks so much for linking up.
    Lyndsey
    Lit with Lyns

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top