Super Hero Week

One of my 8th grade boys is a huge Marvel fan. As a fellow nerd myself, it has been quite enjoyable discussing super heroes all school year. These discussions turned into quite a novel and scary idea around Christmas…

…what if we had a Super Hero Week after our standardized tests were over??

Brilliant! Now, to run it by the middle schoolers. Yep! They're on board! And not only were my students on board 100%, but they also helped contribute ideas and suggestions in order to bring in math to every topic. I am very thankful for my students' and husband's help to get this going and make sure it worked. So, without further ado, here is a peek into my Super Hero Week 2015.

Sunday Afternoon-Setup Day

We went to school Sunday afternoon to set up. It took us roughly 2 hours. All of our decorations were either homemade or bought at Party City and Walmart. Here are a few pictures of my classroom and hallway. Remember, this is a VERY big deal for most middle school classrooms. I had signs in the hallway leading up to my door that said, "The fate of the world rests in your hands."







Monday


We did a probability lesson using a squishy ball and targets on the wall. No students were injured in the making of these photos.









Tuesday


On Tuesday, we made arc reactors. I wish that I had remembered to get a photo of the finished product! They were just so into making them that I got carried away in the fun.




Wednesday


The helmets turned out amazing! The wings are meant to placed straight upwards, but I just wasn't feeling it that day, so I turned them backwards. Whatever works! The kids enjoyed wearing them all over the school the rest of the day!




Thursday


On Thursday, we made our shields! This was, by far, the hardest to complete. Many of my students did not finish in 1 class period. I would recommend scheduling 2 class periods if you want to make sure your students finish at school.




Friday


This was the day all of the students were looking forward to the most…ice cream!!! They all enjoyed getting their treat after putting out the work. I made a boo-boo with the 2nd class and did not put as much salt as needed. Theirs was very runny, yet still tasty. Each and every single child ate theirs to the last drop!





I hope that you enjoyed a little sneak peak into the biggest week of the school year. The kids had a blast and it was a great way to come down off of the high-stress testing season. I will gladly do this with my students again next year!

Sincerely,
Edison Education

2 comments

  1. Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Danielle! It took a lot of work, but my kids had a lot of fun and are already planning new lessons for next year's Super Hero Week!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top